An engineering college was set up with an enrollment of twenty students in 1952 as a constituent college of the “University of Peshawar”. This college was granted a charter to operate as an independent engineering university in 1980 under the name “NWFP University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar”. When the province was named “Khyber Pakhtunkhwa” in 2010, the name of the university was changed to “University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar” and is now commonly known as “UET Peshawar”.
Until 1984, many students passing their intermediate exams in Pakistan had to wait for almost a year to get admission into universities. It could be called as a mandatory “gap year”. In many countries students can still chose to take a year’s break between high school and college/university, aimed at promoting a mature outlook with which to absorb the benefits of higher education. The practice is becoming obsolete to the point where students are sometimes penalized for taking a gap year.
In 1984, with a single campus in Peshawar, and for the first time in the history of Engineering University, two sessions were combined to ensure that students don’t waste an important year of their academic lives.
UET Peshawar now has Five campuses. The main campus is in the Peshawar University Campus area, off University Road, with Four satellite campuses in Kohat, Abbottabad, Bannu and Mardan. The Peshawar campus is the nucleus of the University.
UET Peshawar offers Bachelor, Master, and Doctoral degrees in engineering disciplines. Some of the main departments at UET Peshawar are:
01. Department of Agricultural Engineering
02. Department of Civil Engineering
03. Department of Computer System Engineering
04. Department of Chemical Engineering
05. Department of Electrical Engineering
06. Department of Mechanical Engineering
07. Department of Industrial Engineering
08. Department of Mining Engineering
09. Department of Telecommunication Engineering
10. Department of Electronics Engineering
11. Department of Architecture
12. Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
13. Department of Basic Sciences and Islamiat
14. Department of Mechatronics Engineering
Sohail Moughal P. Eng., M. Eng., MIEAust